New anti-government protests in Albania
Albania: Thousands of Albanians converged on central Tirana on Friday demanding that the government step down over corruption allegations, two weeks after a similar anti-government demonstration turned violent and left three people dead.
Protest marches were also being held in another three cities, including the town of Lezha northwest of Tirana, Vlora to the southwest and Korca to the southeast.
The demonstrations come two weeks after three protesters were shot dead in clashes with security forces during anti-government protests in Tirana. Another 150 were injured in the violence.
The opposition Socialists are demanding that conservative Prime Minister Sali Berisha hold early elections over allegations of corruption and vote rigging in the previous 2009 general election. But Berisha has refused to resign, accusing the opposition of trying to stage a coup.
Tensions rose sharply last month when the country`s deputy prime minister, Ilir Meta, resigned amid allegations he tried to influence a state tender for a hydropower station.
Chanting "We want Albania without Sali" and carrying banners with slogans such as "Berisha, thief," at least 5,000 protesters marched through the center of the capital, but avoided the main government building, outside of which the Jan. 21 riots occurred.
"The only way out is that Berisha should leave. He has plunged the country deep into poverty, unemployment," said Ruzhdi Hoxha, a middle-aged demonstrator.
Police put the number of demonstrators at about 3,000 in Tirana. Police figures are often on the conservative size. They said another 3,500 people marched in Vlora, about 2,000 in Korca and up to 600 in Lezha. All demonstrations were peaceful, they said.
The opposition has vowed to hold weekly rallies across the country every Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security