New book likens Angela Merkel to Don Corleone
London: A new book has accused German Chancellor Angela Merkel of behaving like a female Don Corleone, the sinister Mafia boss portrayed in The Godfather.
The book named ‘The Godmother: How Angela Merkel Is Reconstructing Germany’ said Merkel is obsessed with power, running an autocratic regime and destroying the euro.
The book has been written by Christian Democrat, Gertrud Höhler, 71, a prominent and outspoken conservative, the Daily Mail reports.
“We have more and more state power and less and less parliamentary power,” Höhler wrote in the book.
“Some cross-party decisions are increasingly adopting totalitarian features, and there are increasingly stricter measures against dissenting opinions in Parliament,” she added.
According to the paper, Höhler argued that Merkel`s obsession with power lies with her own ambition to survive politically and that she has pandered to German voters.
Excerpts from the book that have caused a stir in Germany were published in the conservative Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand