New constitution allows Kenyans to have dual citizenship
Nairobi: Kenya`s new Constitution which
was recently approved in a referendum, will for the first time
allow its citizens to have dual citizenship.
According to the new Constitution, citizens cannot
lose Kenyan citizenship if they acquire the citizenship of
another country as is the case currently.
The new law will mean that Kenyans who, as a result of
acquiring the citizenship of another country, ceased to be
Kenyan citizens would gain an entitlement to regain it on
Dual citizenship is a status in which a person is
concurrently regarded as a citizen under the laws of more than
The right to dual citizenship is contained in Chapter
3 of the Constitution which was endorsed by Kenyans on August
4. It is, however, significant to note that dual citizenship
in the country applies to persons who are its citizens by
If a person acquired Kenyan citizenship by
registration, their status might be revoked if they did so
fraudulently, or by false representation.
Several Kenyan athletes have in the past forfeited
their citizenship and become citizens of European, American or
Middle East countries.
They include Stephen Cherono now
Qatar`s Saif Saaeed Shaheen, who holds the world record in the
3,000 metres steeplechase, former Kenyan now American Bernard
Lagat, Dane Wilson Kipketer, Albert Chepkurui now known as
Abdullah Ahma Hassan of Qatar and Abel Cheruiyot of Bahrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says