New constitution allows Kenyans to have dual citizenship
Nairobi: Kenya`s new Constitution which
was recently approved in a referendum, will for the first time
allow its citizens to have dual citizenship.
According to the new Constitution, citizens cannot
lose Kenyan citizenship if they acquire the citizenship of
another country as is the case currently.
The new law will mean that Kenyans who, as a result of
acquiring the citizenship of another country, ceased to be
Kenyan citizens would gain an entitlement to regain it on
Dual citizenship is a status in which a person is
concurrently regarded as a citizen under the laws of more than
The right to dual citizenship is contained in Chapter
3 of the Constitution which was endorsed by Kenyans on August
4. It is, however, significant to note that dual citizenship
in the country applies to persons who are its citizens by
If a person acquired Kenyan citizenship by
registration, their status might be revoked if they did so
fraudulently, or by false representation.
Several Kenyan athletes have in the past forfeited
their citizenship and become citizens of European, American or
Middle East countries.
They include Stephen Cherono now
Qatar`s Saif Saaeed Shaheen, who holds the world record in the
3,000 metres steeplechase, former Kenyan now American Bernard
Lagat, Dane Wilson Kipketer, Albert Chepkurui now known as
Abdullah Ahma Hassan of Qatar and Abel Cheruiyot of Bahrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!