New Egypt Cabinet announced
Cairo: Almost a month after President Mohamed Morsi took office, Egypt`s newly-appointed Prime Minister Hisham Qandil and his Cabinet were sworn-in on Thursday.
Though the new Cabinet was constituted so as to avoid reflecting dominance of Brotherhood, still four ministries were ceded to Brotherhood members.
The Cabinet included several members of the out-going, military-picked government and other technocratic figures.
Qandil’s new cabinet replaces the one appointed by the military, which took charge after a popular uprising ousted president Hosni Mubarak last year and which still has broad powers after formally transferring control to Morsi.
In a sign of the military`s continuing influence, Field Marshall Hussein Tantawi was retained as the defense minister. Also, Mumtaz al-Said who was Finance Minister in military-ruled government, will retain his post.
The new government comes at a time when tensions are mounting over the country`s tenuous security, recent sectarian violence and growing popular discontent over issues such as widespread power and water outages as well as shortages.
At a press conference before the swearing in, Kandil noted the country`s "grave challenges."
The line-up of the 35-member Cabinet falls far short of the unity government that Morsi had initially said he would put together, bringing together political factions. Instead, the members were largely technocrats. And many will be looking to see how many of the new ministers, while not Brotherhood members, are Islamists or sympathetic to the movement to gain a real picture of the government`s diversity.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray