New Egyptian petition: Run, General, run
Cairo: A group of Egyptian professionals, lawyers and ex-Army officers have launched a campaign to collect signatures urging the country`s military chief to run for president, just two months after he ousted the first elected leader.
Organiser Rifai Nasrallah, a judge, said the goal of the petition titled "complete your good deed" is to make Gen.
Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi give in to popular will and run for president, by collecting more than 30 million signatures around Egypt.
The petition is modeled after Tamarod, or Rebel, a campaign which spearheaded protests against Islamist President Mohammed Morsi. Tamarod said it collected 22 million signatures demanding Morsi step down.
After days of protests, el-Sissi removed Morsi, and appointed an interim civilian leader. Morsi supporters still protest the coup. Presidential elections are expected early 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country