New EU sanctions put the squeeze on Libyan oil sector
Luxembourg: The European Union added to its Libya sanctions list 26 energy firms accused of financing Muammar Gaddafi`s regime, a move that Germany said amounted to a de facto oil and gas embargo.
The 27-nation bloc had already imposed sanctions on Libya`s main oil group, the national fir NOC, and four of its subsidiaries in a bid to cut off funding from the vital industry to the Gaddafi government.
"We have added 26 more energy sector companies to our list. We have therefore imposed a de facto embargo on oil and gas," German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said.
"It is an additional step in the goal of shutting the financial faucet of the Gaddafi regime," he said after a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg.
The EU imposed an arms embargo against Libya after Gaddafi used violent means to put down anti-government protests that erupted in mid-February.
Travel bans and assets freezes were also enforced against Gaddafi and 37 associates.
The assets and financial transactions of several financial entities were frozen, including the Libyan Central Bank and the sovereign wealth fund that manages oil funds.
According to the International Energy Agency, Libya produces 1.69 million barrels per day and exports 1.49 million in normal times, most of it, 85 percent, to Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'