New food `surge` for Haiti: WFP
Port-au-Prince: The World Food Program is to launch a food "surge" in Haiti from Saturday to boost rations for nearly two million people in the quake-torn country, a spokeswoman said.
WFP staff in the capital Port-au-Prince were handing out coupons on Friday that will be exchanged for the food "baskets" comprising rice, beans, fortified flour, oil and salt to be distributed to the end of the month, Silke Buhr said.
The parcels are designed to feed a family of five for a month, she said.
A total of 1.9 million people will receive the rations -- more than covering the 1.3 million people left homeless by the January 12 earthquake that killed more than 220,000 people.
The new distribution expands on an initial emergency food surge for three million people following the disaster that mostly consisted of rice hand-outs.
The WFP said it has also started a program to feed school-age children in Port-au-Prince.
The initiative began last week in and will initially distribute meals of rice and beans, and fortified porridge to 72,000 children from school yards across the capital. Eventually it aims to feed 800,000 children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony