New Hillsborough probe, death verdicts overturned
London: A London court has overturned a previous ruling that the death of 96 Liverpool fans in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster was accidental, and a new criminal investigation into the stadium tragedy was ordered.
The wrongdoing and mistakes that led to the crush at an FA Cup semifinal against Nottingham Forest were only fully exposed in September after an independent panel examined previously secret documents, vindicating a 23-year search for the truth by the victims` families.
Many of the victims` families were at the High Court in London today to hear Attorney General Dominic Grieve successfully apply for the accidental death verdicts to be overturned. Fresh inquests will now be held.
Inquests do not determine criminal liability, but as the hearing was being held the government announced that those deemed responsible for the disaster could now face criminal prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday