New Hillsborough probe, death verdicts overturned
London: A London court has overturned a previous ruling that the death of 96 Liverpool fans in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster was accidental, and a new criminal investigation into the stadium tragedy was ordered.
The wrongdoing and mistakes that led to the crush at an FA Cup semifinal against Nottingham Forest were only fully exposed in September after an independent panel examined previously secret documents, vindicating a 23-year search for the truth by the victims` families.
Many of the victims` families were at the High Court in London today to hear Attorney General Dominic Grieve successfully apply for the accidental death verdicts to be overturned. Fresh inquests will now be held.
Inquests do not determine criminal liability, but as the hearing was being held the government announced that those deemed responsible for the disaster could now face criminal prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price