New Hillsborough probe, death verdicts overturned
London: A London court has overturned a previous ruling that the death of 96 Liverpool fans in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster was accidental, and a new criminal investigation into the stadium tragedy was ordered.
The wrongdoing and mistakes that led to the crush at an FA Cup semifinal against Nottingham Forest were only fully exposed in September after an independent panel examined previously secret documents, vindicating a 23-year search for the truth by the victims` families.
Many of the victims` families were at the High Court in London today to hear Attorney General Dominic Grieve successfully apply for the accidental death verdicts to be overturned. Fresh inquests will now be held.
Inquests do not determine criminal liability, but as the hearing was being held the government announced that those deemed responsible for the disaster could now face criminal prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday