New Israeli government set to take office
Jerusalem: The new Israeli coalition packed with hardliners is to be sworn-in on Monday just two days before a visit by US President Barack Obama, with faint hopes of any revival of the stalled peace talks with the Palestinians.
Scepticism regarding chances of an end to the deadlock further deepened today when former foreign minister Avigdor Liberman, who is expected to make a comeback to the ministry once absolved of graft charges against him, made it clear that it was not the new government`s priority.
Speaking at a press conference to mark the swearing-in of the new government led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Liberman stressed that "the Palestinian issue has not progressed in the past four years, and it will not progress in the next four years either."
Asked what would constitute a successful Obama visit in his eyes, the Yisrael Beytenu party chairman said that the fact that the US President chose to visit Israel in the first trip of his second term was a victory in itself.
Israel would "emphatically oppose any attempt to reimpose a [settlement construction] freeze," he emphasised making clear that there will be no change in the position of the new government vis-à-vis the thorny issue which the Palestinians have made a pre-condition for revival of peace talks.
Israel`s hawkish 63-year-old Prime Minister Netanyahu finally managed to cobble together a coalition government after forty days of gruelling negotiations during which his Likud party`s weakened position saw him making several compromises with the potential partners.
With no dearth of hawks in his own party`s slate, the inclusion of 12 Bayit Yehudi (Jewish Home) Parliament members has virtually sealed the possibility of any movement in talks with the Palestinians.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know