New Israeli homes set for east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Jerusalem municipality has given
the green light for the construction of 11 new apartments in
the Jewish settlement of Pisgat Zeev in the annexed east of
the city, a councillor said on Sunday.
"The municipality approved at the beginning of the week
the construction of 11 apartments, as part of a project of 300
housing units supposed to be approved section by section,"
Pepe Alalou of the leftist Meretz party said.
Israel on September 27 approved a plan to build 1,100 new
homes in a Jewish settlement, prompting an angry reaction from
the Palestinians who said it amounted to a direct rejection of
international efforts to restart peace talks.
Both the US State Department and the White House issued
strong condemnation after Israel`s interior ministry said the
new housing units in Gilo in east Jerusalem had been cleared
by its district planning committee.
Israel considers all of Jerusalem to be its "eternal,
indivisible" capital and does not view construction in the
east to be settlement activity.
The Palestinians, however, believe east Jerusalem should
be the capital of their future state and are fiercely opposed
to the extension of Israeli control over the sector seized in
the 1967 Six-Day War and later annexed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH