New leaders vow to achieve fairer country `Chinese dream`
Washington: Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to pursue the "Chinese dream", in a speech as the National People`s Congress came to a close on Sunday.
Xi said the government will continue to push forward the great cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics, and strive to achieve the Chinese dream of great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation, reports CNN.
Xi also paid tribute to his predecessor, Hu Jintao, 70, who is retiring, commending his "outstanding contributions" over the years.
Xi`s speech was followed by the first news conference by Premier Li Keqiang who, like Xi, was confirmed as one of the nation`s new leaders during the meeting. They are replacing Hu and Wen Jiabao , who led the country for 10 years.
Li said the aim of the government was to create a fairer country. He said the government would lead by example, reducing spending on government offices, buildings, travel and hospitality. Instead, money would be redirected toward social spending.
He said the government would strive to be "the guardian of social fairness", and work to narrow what he called the "two biggest gaps" between the people; urban and rural dwellers, and people from different regions.
Achieving economic stability remained the government`s priority, the premier said, while repeating economic targets this year of 7.5 percent annual growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof