New leaders vow to achieve fairer country `Chinese dream`
Washington: Chinese President Xi Jinping has vowed to pursue the "Chinese dream", in a speech as the National People`s Congress came to a close on Sunday.
Xi said the government will continue to push forward the great cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics, and strive to achieve the Chinese dream of great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation, reports CNN.
Xi also paid tribute to his predecessor, Hu Jintao, 70, who is retiring, commending his "outstanding contributions" over the years.
Xi`s speech was followed by the first news conference by Premier Li Keqiang who, like Xi, was confirmed as one of the nation`s new leaders during the meeting. They are replacing Hu and Wen Jiabao , who led the country for 10 years.
Li said the aim of the government was to create a fairer country. He said the government would lead by example, reducing spending on government offices, buildings, travel and hospitality. Instead, money would be redirected toward social spending.
He said the government would strive to be "the guardian of social fairness", and work to narrow what he called the "two biggest gaps" between the people; urban and rural dwellers, and people from different regions.
Achieving economic stability remained the government`s priority, the premier said, while repeating economic targets this year of 7.5 percent annual growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Inexhaustible Rafael Nadal wins 200th Grand Slam match
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers