New member Palestine raises flag at UNESCO
Paris: Palestinians have raised their flag at the headquarters of the UN cultural agency in Paris, a symbolic boost in their push for an independent state.
Cheers rose alongside the red, black, white and green flag today during a ceremony held in the rain. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas was among those present.
Palestine was admitted as a UNESCO member after an October vote that prompted the US to cut off funds to the agency.
The Palestinians also are seeking full-fledged UN membership, but Washington has threatened to veto that move, saying a negotiated settlement with Israel should come first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie