New member Palestine raises flag at UNESCO
Paris: Palestinians have raised their flag at the headquarters of the UN cultural agency in Paris, a symbolic boost in their push for an independent state.
Cheers rose alongside the red, black, white and green flag today during a ceremony held in the rain. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas was among those present.
Palestine was admitted as a UNESCO member after an October vote that prompted the US to cut off funds to the agency.
The Palestinians also are seeking full-fledged UN membership, but Washington has threatened to veto that move, saying a negotiated settlement with Israel should come first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?
- Tax holiday for start-ups should be raised to 7 years, says Commerce Minister