New Mitt Romney ad ties Barack Obama to Chavez, Castro
Roanoke: Mitt Romney`s campaign is running a new ad in Florida that claims Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro`s niece would support US President Barack Obama.
The spot shows a clip of Chavez saying that if he were American, "I`d vote for Obama”. The Venezuelan leader did say that in September, when he also called Obama "a good guy”.
Obama`s campaign on Thursday said the ad provides the Venezuelan leader with more attention than he deserves. Venezuela has had tense relations with the US government for years, even though the US is a top buyer of its oil.
"Mitt Romney continues to play Hugo Chavez`s game, giving Chavez the attention he thrives on and that he doesn`t deserve," said Dan Restrepo, a national security adviser to the Obama campaign. "Keeping America safe and advancing US interests require the kind of leadership President Obama has provided, not Romney`s bluster."
The ad, first reported by The Miami Herald, was airing on three Spanish-language TV stations in heavily Hispanic Miami.
The ad features a similar clip featuring Castro`s niece, Mariela, who has no official link to the Cuban government.
She`s a noted advocate of gay rights and has praised Obama`s stand in support of same sex marriage.
The ad represents an effort to court Cuban Americans in Miami, many of whom have supported Republican presidential candidates in past elections. Romney campaigned yesterday in Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister