New Mitt Romney ad ties Barack Obama to Chavez, Castro
Roanoke: Mitt Romney`s campaign is running a new ad in Florida that claims Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro`s niece would support US President Barack Obama.
The spot shows a clip of Chavez saying that if he were American, "I`d vote for Obama”. The Venezuelan leader did say that in September, when he also called Obama "a good guy”.
Obama`s campaign on Thursday said the ad provides the Venezuelan leader with more attention than he deserves. Venezuela has had tense relations with the US government for years, even though the US is a top buyer of its oil.
"Mitt Romney continues to play Hugo Chavez`s game, giving Chavez the attention he thrives on and that he doesn`t deserve," said Dan Restrepo, a national security adviser to the Obama campaign. "Keeping America safe and advancing US interests require the kind of leadership President Obama has provided, not Romney`s bluster."
The ad, first reported by The Miami Herald, was airing on three Spanish-language TV stations in heavily Hispanic Miami.
The ad features a similar clip featuring Castro`s niece, Mariela, who has no official link to the Cuban government.
She`s a noted advocate of gay rights and has praised Obama`s stand in support of same sex marriage.
The ad represents an effort to court Cuban Americans in Miami, many of whom have supported Republican presidential candidates in past elections. Romney campaigned yesterday in Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’