New Obama national security team named
Washington: President Barack Obama is
heralding a major reshuffling of his war and intelligence team as the right move to protect the nation`s security interests.
The president announced four major personnel changes, formalising news that had spilled out about two days earlier.
Obama announced today that CIA Director Leon Panetta will replace Defense Secretary Robert Gates when Gates makes his long-planned exit this summer.
Gen David Petraeus, the high-profile commander of the
wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, will replace Panetta at the CIA
in the autumn, after helping to manage the first steps of a
reduction of US troops in Afghanistan.
Petraeus` job will be filled by Marine Corps Lt. Gen.
John Allen, the deputy commander of US Central Command.
Diplomat Ryan Crocker is being installed as US ambassador in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth