New papal envoy to Israel hopes to foster peace
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has named Archbishop Giuseppe Lazzarotto as a new envoy to Israel, who will also serve as apostolic delegate in Jerusalem and Palestine.
Lazzarotto, a 70-year-old Italian prelate, told Vatican Radio on Saturday that he will do his best "in the cause of dialogue and peace" and said that there are "many men and women of good will who live in the Holy Land”.
Vatican Radio noted that Lazzarotto is familiar with the region, because he first served as a papal envoy in Jordan and Iraq from 1994-2000. His most recent posting had been as papal envoy to Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...