New papal envoy to Israel hopes to foster peace
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has named Archbishop Giuseppe Lazzarotto as a new envoy to Israel, who will also serve as apostolic delegate in Jerusalem and Palestine.
Lazzarotto, a 70-year-old Italian prelate, told Vatican Radio on Saturday that he will do his best "in the cause of dialogue and peace" and said that there are "many men and women of good will who live in the Holy Land”.
Vatican Radio noted that Lazzarotto is familiar with the region, because he first served as a papal envoy in Jordan and Iraq from 1994-2000. His most recent posting had been as papal envoy to Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far