New pictures confirm North Korea nuclear activity
Seoul: A North Korean nuclear test within days "cannot be ruled out" analysts said on Saturday, after new satellite imagery showed heightened activity at the test site.
The report by the Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) chimes with other findings and suggests Pyongyang is moving towards an underground detonation.
Pictures taken yesterday -- the first day of US President Barack Obama`s visit to neighbouring South Korea -- show an increase in movement near one entrance to a tunnel.
"The images show in particular activity at the South Portal of the site, a possible site for North Korea`s next nuclear test, and in the main support area," ISIS said in a release.
Analysis of satellite images taken on Wednesday and released by the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University showed increased activity at the Punggye-ri test site.
This was "probably related to preparations for a detonation," the institute said on its closely followed 38 North website.
ISIS said higher resolution imagery, taken on Friday confirmed that analysis and suggested the preparations were continuing.
"On April 23, several containers were located in front of one of the South Portal`s tunnel entrances," ISIS said.
"The higher resolution April 25 imagery shows more clearly what appears to be this collection of boxes or containers near this tunnel entrance."
North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013, despite huge international pressure to halt its programme, and its activity is being keenly watched.
However, the regime is notoriously unpredictable and observers warn that it is possible the preparations are a feint for the benefit of the satellites Pyongyang knows are watching.
The North has a long record of making threats in an effort to extract aid or concessions from the international community.
But activity at the site is being watched particularly carefully because of Obama`s presence in the region amid speculation Pyongyang would like to thumb its nose at the US.
"Test site preparations do not necessarily mean that a test will occur in the next few days. North Korea has made preparations before and not tested," ISIS cautioned.
Politics would certainly play a role in the North`s calculations, and it would be weighing the possible impact of detonation while Obama was in Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie