New Pope posts first tweet
Washington: The Vatican authorities have send out the first tweet from the official account for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would be formally known as Pope Francis.
Tweet on the Pope`s official account @Pontifex read ‘Habemus papam franciscum’.
According to CBS News, the Latin phrase means "we have a new Pope [Francis]".
On Wednesday, white smoke emerged from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel at about 2 pm local time signifying that at least 77 cardinals agreed on a successor for Pope Benedict XVI.
Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Argentina, has been named the 266th Pope.
Soon after it was made known that a new Pope was elected, the official Twitter page of the pope was changed from "Sede Vacante", an expression to signify the papacy is currently vacant, to "Pontifex”,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say