New Pope posts first tweet
Washington: The Vatican authorities have send out the first tweet from the official account for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would be formally known as Pope Francis.
Tweet on the Pope`s official account @Pontifex read ‘Habemus papam franciscum’.
According to CBS News, the Latin phrase means "we have a new Pope [Francis]".
On Wednesday, white smoke emerged from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel at about 2 pm local time signifying that at least 77 cardinals agreed on a successor for Pope Benedict XVI.
Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Argentina, has been named the 266th Pope.
Soon after it was made known that a new Pope was elected, the official Twitter page of the pope was changed from "Sede Vacante", an expression to signify the papacy is currently vacant, to "Pontifex”,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China stripped America, made money and rebuilt itself: Donald Trump
- Google acquires start-up founded by Indian-origin entrepreneur Varun Malhotra
- Capitation fee is illegal; profiteering, commercialisation of education sector unacceptable: Supreme Court
- English Premier League: Euphoria on streets of Leicester as outsiders seal historic maiden title
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared shortly