New Pope posts first tweet
Washington: The Vatican authorities have send out the first tweet from the official account for Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who would be formally known as Pope Francis.
Tweet on the Pope`s official account @Pontifex read ‘Habemus papam franciscum’.
According to CBS News, the Latin phrase means "we have a new Pope [Francis]".
On Wednesday, white smoke emerged from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel at about 2 pm local time signifying that at least 77 cardinals agreed on a successor for Pope Benedict XVI.
Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Argentina, has been named the 266th Pope.
Soon after it was made known that a new Pope was elected, the official Twitter page of the pope was changed from "Sede Vacante", an expression to signify the papacy is currently vacant, to "Pontifex”,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed