New radioactive water leak at Fukushima: TEPCO
Tokyo: Japan`s tsunami-battered Fukushima nuclear complex has suffered another radioactive water leak, its operator said on Friday, the latest in a series of incidents at the crippled plant.
About 360 litres of tainted water leaked from a desalination unit although it did not escape from the complex, Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) said.
The desalination unit removes salt from tainted seawater used to cool reactors that went into meltdown after a giant tsunami crashed into the plant in March 2011.
The water is believed to have leaked from the unit before it went through its salt-removal system, TEPCO said.
Reports continue to emerge of leaks from storage pools, tanks and pipes at Fukushima.
The latest comes two days after the embattled utility said cancer-causing radioactive substances were found in groundwater at the plant and it pledged to prevent them leaking into the sea.
TEPCO has struggled with a growing catalogue of incidents at the plant, more than two years after the worst nuclear disaster in a generation.
More than 18,000 people died when the towering tsunami smashed into Japan`s northeast in March 2011 setting off the crisis at Fukushima.
Improvised fixes put in place since the disaster leave it vulnerable to problems and at the mercy of nature, with no immediate end in sight, critics say.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy