New sex scandals hit Australian defence force
Sydney: The Australian military was rocked on Thursday by more sex scandals, including allegations of assault, child porn, rape and drug-dealing within its ranks.
Documents obtained by Channel Seven News under the Freedom of Information Act detail what it called "ongoing, often major, breaches of discipline in Australia`s armed forces".
It said more than 100 incidents had been reported in the last year, from weapons mishaps to sexual assault, especially in the Navy where allegations of misconduct on four warships are being investigated.
Among them, alleged sexual assaults on HMAS Newcastle and HMAS Diamantina have been passed to police.
The documents, referred to as the "Hot Issues Brief", say a senior officer on the HMAS Success was reported to police for video-taping sexual encounters he had with junior sailors.
Seven months earlier, a female sailor aboard the same vessel claimed she had been indecently assaulted during a port visit to Singapore by a male shipmate.
On HMAS Toowoomba, a female sailor complained of indecent assault, bullying, and harassment, including a so-called "Beer Bounty" being placed on her: free beer for the first sailor to have sex with the woman.
Channel Seven News said the documents also contained "a handful of child porn charges, drug dealing, and rape allegations". Other media reported they included a soldier charged with rape and stalking, while a corporal was found dead ahead of a scheduled court appearance on child exploitation charges.
The revelations add to the military`s unwanted reputation with the Australian Defence Force stung in recent years by a string of allegations, some decades old, of abusive and sexist behaviour in its ranks.
The defence force said it has "no tolerance for misconduct or security breaches".
"Defence is a large organisation with a diverse workforce of almost 103,000 military and civilian members," it said in a statement.
"An organisation is measured in how it responds to such allegations. Defence has responded promptly to these incidents, including referring criminal matters to relevant civil authorities."
Claims against the defence force came to a head last year with a report into incidents on board the supply ship HMAS Success in 2009 finding a sexually predatory and boozy culture, concealed through silence and fear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?