New Syria resolution must be enforceable: UN chief
United Nations: Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says a UN Security Council resolution that would approve a US-Russia deal to eliminate Syria`s chemical weapons must be enforceable.
Ban told reporters on Tuesday that the "most effective" way is under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter. It deals with threats to international peace and security and has provisions for enforcement by military or non-military means such as sanctions.
While in principle all Security Council resolutions are legally binding, Ban said, "in reality, we need clear guidelines under Chapter 7."
The US and Russia are arguing over putting the resolution under Chapter 7.
US Mission spokeswoman Erin Pelton said the five permanent council members the US, Russia, China, Britain and France would meet later today to discuss a draft resolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him