New tripartite talks on Syria to be held in Geneva
United Nations: A new session of tripartite talks on Syria involving Russia, the US and the UN will take place Tuesday in Geneva, deputy UN spokesman Eduardo del Buey said.
"The United Nations delegation will be headed by the joint special representative for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi," Xinhua quoted del Buey as saying.
The goal of the conference will be to achieve a political solution to the conflict in Syria through a comprehensive agreement between the Syrian government and opposition.
Meanwhile, the Unicef said that soaring summer temperatures, overcrowding and worsening hygiene are the latest threats facing some four million children affected by the ongoing conflict in Syria, del Buey said.
"Without enough safe water and sanitation, it is likely that a rising number of children in Syria and those living as refugees around the region will fall sick with diarrhea and other diseases," he said.
"As the escalating conflict triggers larger population movements, Unicef has accelerated efforts to provide sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services, reaching almost nine million people since the beginning of the year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?