New tripartite talks on Syria to be held in Geneva
United Nations: A new session of tripartite talks on Syria involving Russia, the US and the UN will take place Tuesday in Geneva, deputy UN spokesman Eduardo del Buey said.
"The United Nations delegation will be headed by the joint special representative for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi," Xinhua quoted del Buey as saying.
The goal of the conference will be to achieve a political solution to the conflict in Syria through a comprehensive agreement between the Syrian government and opposition.
Meanwhile, the Unicef said that soaring summer temperatures, overcrowding and worsening hygiene are the latest threats facing some four million children affected by the ongoing conflict in Syria, del Buey said.
"Without enough safe water and sanitation, it is likely that a rising number of children in Syria and those living as refugees around the region will fall sick with diarrhea and other diseases," he said.
"As the escalating conflict triggers larger population movements, Unicef has accelerated efforts to provide sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services, reaching almost nine million people since the beginning of the year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video