New tsunami alert briefly sounded on Chile coast
Constitucion: A new tsunami alert was briefly sounded along part of the quake-hit Chilean coast on Wednesday just four days after monster waves ravaged towns and villages, witnesses said.
Hundreds of people were seen rushing out of Constitucion and Concepcion to higher ground as troops waved them up the hillsides amid scenes of panic with sirens wailing across the devastated cities.
The tsunami warning, which was lifted by officials shortly afterwards, came after two powerful aftershocks struck the region measuring 5.9 and 6.0 on the moment magnitude scale.
Ignacio Gutierrez, from a Chilean television station, was driving down into Constitucion, when people stopped the car on the road and shouted: "Run, run there is a tsunami."
Nelson Muna had just arrived in Constitucion from a country town bringing food and water for victims of Saturday`s tsumani when he heard the sirens and people shouting,
"Quickly, quickly, run”.
"`We saw soldiers running, everyone running out of town. Even the soldiers were scared," he said.
In Constitucion, people fled their homes in panic and hundreds of cars were still clogging the roads out of town even after the alert was lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!