New tsunami alert briefly sounded on Chile coast
Constitucion: A new tsunami alert was briefly sounded along part of the quake-hit Chilean coast on Wednesday just four days after monster waves ravaged towns and villages, witnesses said.
Hundreds of people were seen rushing out of Constitucion and Concepcion to higher ground as troops waved them up the hillsides amid scenes of panic with sirens wailing across the devastated cities.
The tsunami warning, which was lifted by officials shortly afterwards, came after two powerful aftershocks struck the region measuring 5.9 and 6.0 on the moment magnitude scale.
Ignacio Gutierrez, from a Chilean television station, was driving down into Constitucion, when people stopped the car on the road and shouted: "Run, run there is a tsunami."
Nelson Muna had just arrived in Constitucion from a country town bringing food and water for victims of Saturday`s tsumani when he heard the sirens and people shouting,
"Quickly, quickly, run”.
"`We saw soldiers running, everyone running out of town. Even the soldiers were scared," he said.
In Constitucion, people fled their homes in panic and hundreds of cars were still clogging the roads out of town even after the alert was lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened