New tsunami alert briefly sounded on Chile coast
Constitucion: A new tsunami alert was briefly sounded along part of the quake-hit Chilean coast on Wednesday just four days after monster waves ravaged towns and villages, witnesses said.
Hundreds of people were seen rushing out of Constitucion and Concepcion to higher ground as troops waved them up the hillsides amid scenes of panic with sirens wailing across the devastated cities.
The tsunami warning, which was lifted by officials shortly afterwards, came after two powerful aftershocks struck the region measuring 5.9 and 6.0 on the moment magnitude scale.
Ignacio Gutierrez, from a Chilean television station, was driving down into Constitucion, when people stopped the car on the road and shouted: "Run, run there is a tsunami."
Nelson Muna had just arrived in Constitucion from a country town bringing food and water for victims of Saturday`s tsumani when he heard the sirens and people shouting,
"Quickly, quickly, run”.
"`We saw soldiers running, everyone running out of town. Even the soldiers were scared," he said.
In Constitucion, people fled their homes in panic and hundreds of cars were still clogging the roads out of town even after the alert was lifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Immigration control a top priority: Stephen Crabb who is running to replace David Cameron
- Four Indian-Americans to be honoured with Great Immigrants Award
- No apology from Salman Khan as he responds to NCW notice on 'raped woman' remark
- Inspiring! Poverty-stricken Bihar siblings beat all odds to crack IIT-JEE
- 7th Pay Commission: Know at a glance, see this informative chart