New turmoil in Arab world: French PM`s name
Sydney: It is not France`s new president but Prime Minister Jean Marc Ayrault who is creating waves in the Arab world. And it is because of his name.
His surname, when pronounced, sounds like the word "penis" in Arabic.
Editors in major Arab media outlets have spent days pondering how to spell his name. The biggest challenge is for television anchors.
When she read aloud the name the day he was elected, a Lebanese TV anchor burst out laughing, reported the Australian Associated Press.
Not everyone is taking it as a joke though.
To avoid embarrassment, some media groups have decided to call him by his first name.
Others are spelling his surname Ayrault as Aro, Hairo or Airolt instead of Airo -- as it would be when translated into Arabic.
The French foreign ministry is offering help.
It has suggested that the Arab media pronounce all the letters, unlike in French pronunciation, or that Arab media use the prime minister`s initials JMA.
The report said France faced a similar situation with Russian President Vladimir Putin because his surname sounds like "putain" -- the French word for prostitute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?