New US ambassador takes office in Myanmar
Yangon: Newly-appointed US Ambassador Derek J Mitchell presented his credentials to Myanmar President U Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw Wednesday.
This signified the re-establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries at ambassadorial level after a civilian government was installed here March 30, 2011, Xinhua reported.
Mitchell, who had served as US special representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar, is the first US ambassador to Myanmar in 22 years.
Myanmar and the US established diplomatic relations in 1947. Since 1990, the US downgraded the ties from ambassadorial level to that of charge d`affaires.
Relations between the two countries have improved following the visit of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in December last year.
Myanmar has proposed U Than Swe, current Myanmar ambassador to the UN, as ambassador to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday