New US ambassador takes office in Myanmar
Yangon: Newly-appointed US Ambassador Derek J Mitchell presented his credentials to Myanmar President U Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw Wednesday.
This signified the re-establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries at ambassadorial level after a civilian government was installed here March 30, 2011, Xinhua reported.
Mitchell, who had served as US special representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar, is the first US ambassador to Myanmar in 22 years.
Myanmar and the US established diplomatic relations in 1947. Since 1990, the US downgraded the ties from ambassadorial level to that of charge d`affaires.
Relations between the two countries have improved following the visit of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in December last year.
Myanmar has proposed U Than Swe, current Myanmar ambassador to the UN, as ambassador to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read