New US ambassador takes office in Myanmar
Yangon: Newly-appointed US Ambassador Derek J Mitchell presented his credentials to Myanmar President U Thein Sein in Nay Pyi Taw Wednesday.
This signified the re-establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries at ambassadorial level after a civilian government was installed here March 30, 2011, Xinhua reported.
Mitchell, who had served as US special representative and policy coordinator for Myanmar, is the first US ambassador to Myanmar in 22 years.
Myanmar and the US established diplomatic relations in 1947. Since 1990, the US downgraded the ties from ambassadorial level to that of charge d`affaires.
Relations between the two countries have improved following the visit of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in December last year.
Myanmar has proposed U Than Swe, current Myanmar ambassador to the UN, as ambassador to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off