New US missile plan less threatening to Russia: Lavrov
Kharkiv (Ukraine): US President Barack
Obama`s new plan for a sea-based missile shield does not pose
serious risks to Russia and will boost US-Russian ties,
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said today.
"The new plan which the Obama administration has now
presented... creates conditions for dialogue that are not
bad," Lavrov said during a visit to the Ukrainian city of
"According to our initial supposition, it does not create
those risks which were discussed when the third position
district was being planned," he said.
Russian officials used the term "third position district"
to describe the plans of former US president George W Bush to
deploy interceptor missiles in Poland and a radar facility in
the Czech Republic.
The other two "position districts" were in the US states
of Alaska and California. The system was designed to protect
the United States against long-range missile strikes from
"rogue states" such as Iran.
Moscow fiercely opposed the Bush plan to deploy missile
defence facilities in eastern Europe, saying they threatened
Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
Last month the Obama administration said it was dropping
the eastern Europe plan in favour of a more mobile, sea-based
system that would focus on the threat of short- and
medium-range missiles from Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing