New Year 2014: Dubai fireworks display breaks Guinness world record
Dubai: Dubai has ushered in 2014 with more than half a million fireworks spectacle, breaking the world record for the largest such display ever, Guinness World records said today.
Ten months in planning, over 500,000 fireworks were used during the display on the New Year`s Eve which lasted around six minutes, with Guinness adjudicators on hand to confirm that a new record had been set.
Covering a distance of over 94km of the city`s seafront, the display incorporated some of Dubai`s top landmarks, including Palm Jumeirah, World Islands, the Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab, Guinness said.
The spectacle`s final salvo of fireworks created an artificial "sunrise" along the seafront, with the highest fireworks reaching more than one kilometre in height.
Organisers had been aiming to beat a record set in 2012 during a display to mark Kuwait`s golden jubilee anniversary which saw a total of 77,282 fireworks launched.
Dubai`s attempt broke that benchmark by some margin, with enough fireworks launched within the first minute of the display alone to surpass the previous record.
What now goes down as the biggest bang in the history of pyrotechnics was designed by US firm Fireworks by Grucci, said Guinness.
The performance used 100 computers to synchronise the pyrotechnics, along with a choreographed musical soundtrack.
In the build up to the event, more than 200 expert technicians worked 5,000 man hours to ensure that the fireworks` timing was accurate down to the millisecond.
"The scale of this record attempt is truly impressive and will ensure all eyes are on Dubai," Alistair Richards, Global President of Guinness World Records, said.
Richards had travelled especially to Dubai from London to witness the display.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days