New York City celebrates day without violent crime
London: For the first time in recent memory, New York has spent a day entirely without violent crime.
The city police department’s chief spokesman said that Monday was the most bloodshed-free 24-hour period in recent history.
He said that not a single murder, shooting, stabbing or other incident of violent crime was reported in the whole day.
According to the BBC, despite the fall in homicides, statistics point to a 3 percent overall rise in crime.
There has also been a 9 percent increase in larceny, which police blame on a surge in smart phone thefts.
Killings, however, are now down by 23 percent compared with last year, which represents a 50-year low.
There have been 366 murders so far this year in New York City, compared with 472 at this time last year.
Experts said that such a low number of homicides are highly unusual for a US city of eight million people.
According to the report, some experts have praised the New York police department`s aggressive crime-prevention tactics, notably the so-called Stop And Frisk policy, which has rooted out dozens of illegal guns.
But critics argue that it has led to hundreds of thousands of young blacks and Latinos being stopped without cause, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Failure more special than success: Emraan Hashmi
- Rains trigger landslide on Gangotri highway in Uttarakhand
- Donald Trump tweets video, accuses Hillary Clinton of telling many lies on emails
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates first phase of SAUNI project in Jamnagar
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit