New York to begin gas rationing after Sandy
Washington: In an effort to ease frustrations over long lines at gas stations, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced on Thursday plans to begin rationing fuel in the city as it continues to recover from the damage left behind by Hurricane Sandy.
Beginning on Friday morning, drivers with license plates ending in an even number can buy gas only on even-numbered days. Drivers with license plates ending in an odd number can only buy fuel on odd-numbered days.
Bloomberg said emergency vehicles, buses, taxis, and commercial vehicles are exempt from the rationing procedures and police officers will be on duty at gas stations to assist with crowd control.
Only 25 percent of New York City gas stations are open, according to Bloomberg.
Nearby Long Island, which is also dealing with long gas lines, will begin fuel rationing as well on Friday.
Gas became scarce in the region after Hurricane Sandy flooded underground equipment that sends fuel through pipelines and damaged ports that accept fuel tankers. Bloomberg estimated low fuel supplies could last for several more weeks.
Bloomberg said New York`s rationing will be similar to the rules imposed last Saturday in the neighbouring state of New Jersey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video