New York train crash: `Speed a possible cause of derailment`
Zee Media Bureau
New York: The New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a detailed probe into the derailment of Metro-North passenger train that killed four and injured 67, reports said
Out of 67 injured, 11 were critical, reports said.
Speaking to the reporters, the Governor said, “This is an opportunity for the National Transport Safety Board [NTSB] to review the entire operation, to review this accident, all the procedures. Safety is job one and if there is a lesson to learn from this tragedy we want to make sure that we learn it."
As questions were raised about the speed of the rail, the Governor said the track did not appear to be faulty, leaving speed as a possible culprit for the crash.
The investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board will look at the condition of the track, the signal system, crew performance, etc. They`ll also search for data and video recordings that may have clues to the cause of derailment, NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hersman said, according to the CNN.
Another NTSB member Earl Weener said that an event recorder from the train and another car had been recovered but it hadn’t been examined.
The speed limit on the curve is 30 mph, compared with 70 mph in the area approaching it, Weener said.
In their efforts to find passengers, rescuers shattered windows, searched nearby woods and waters, and used pneumatic jacks and air bags to peer under wreckage. Crews planned to bring in cranes during the night to right the overturned cars on the slight chance anyone might still be underneath, Weener said.
Metro-North passenger train, traveling from the Hudson Valley town of Poughkeepsie, derailed in the Bronx area of the New York City on Sunday morning at 7:20 am.
The dead have been identified by New York`s Metropolitan Transit Authority, reported the CNN.
Those dead were identified as Donna L. Smith, 54, of Newburgh, James G. Lovell, 58, of Cold Spring; James M. Ferrari, 59, of Montrose; and Ahn Kisook, 35, of Queens.
The train derailed near Bronx just as it was coming around a sharp curve.
Seven of the eight train cars came off the tracks. Some cars of the Metro-North train reportedly submerged in water after they derailed. Police divers are searching the water for survivors.
Metro-North Railroad said on Twitter that the Hudson Line service between Croton Harmon and Grand Central were suspended due to the derailment incident in the vicinity of Spuyten Duyvil.
Also, Amtrak services between New York City and Albany were cancelled.
There was no word yet on when the transportation on the Hudson Line will resume.
About 150 passengers were on the early-morning Metro-North train from Poughkeepsie to Manhattan when it crashed at around 7:20 am.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'