New Zealand amends student visa terms
Hamilton: The immigration department of New Zealand has announced major changes to the conditions for a student visa that would enable the "best students" to stay on and contribute to the country` skilled workforce and benefit the economy.
The changes to the "Study to Work" visa - that aims to attract students and help them get work and residence - would come into effect from July 25.
New Zealand`s international student population has grown rapidly in recent years. India has overtaken Japan to become New Zealand`s third largest source of international students.
The number of Indian students has increased by almost 350 percent since 2006. Around 11,600 Indian students enrolled in New Zealand in 2010.
After changes, students would need to study in the country for at least two years in order to get the "Study to Work" visa.
Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman said it was important to ensure that students genuinely come to New Zealand to study.
It was also important to enable the best students to stay on and contribute to New Zealand`s economy.
"The majority of people are here to legitimately study, but some just see a student visa as a short cut to gaining access to New Zealand," Coleman said.
"Some education providers have been enrolling students who are not capable of successfully completing their courses, have poor attendance, and who are recording poor learning outcomes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview