New Zealand calls for steps to prevent use of chemical weapons in Syria
Taipei: Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou Wednesday asked Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng to step down for his alleged involvement in a lobbying scandal.
Wang was no longer suitable to head the legislative body, said Ma at a press conference held before the ruling party Kuomintang`s (KMT) disciplinary meeting Wednesday, reported Xinhua.
Later in a meeting, the KMT decided to withdraw Wang`s party membership.
If the KMT neither expels nor dismisses Wang from his post, the authority of justice and law would be further undermined, said Ma.
Beijing: The New Zealand government wants the international community to take clear steps to ensure chemical weapons are not used again in Syria, Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully said Wednesday.
"The New Zealand government supports the statement made by the majority of countries represented at last week`s G20 meeting, since endorsed by others, condemning the use of chemical weapons in Syria, calling for those responsible to be held to account, seeking an early report from the UN inspectors, and appropriate action in response from the UN Security Council ," McCully said in a statement, Xinhua reports.
"Over the past week our embassy in New York has met with almost all of the elected members of the United Nations Security Council to press the case for the Council to address the Syria issue," he said.
"The international community needs to take appropriate steps to ensure that there can be no further use of chemical weapons in Syria. The recent suggestion by Russia that Syria should hand over its stocks of chemical weapons deserves constructive consideration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read