New Zealand flights cancelled due to volcanic ash
Wellington: Air travel in New Zealand was disrupted on Wednesday when Australian carriers Qantas and Jetstar cancelled a range of South Island flights due to the ash cloud from Chile`s Puyehue volcano.
Qantas said all flights to and from the South Island cities of Christchurch and Queenstown had been grounded, while its budget offshoot Jetstar cancelled its domestic Queenstown services.
"The safety of our passengers, our people and our operations is always Jetstar’s number one priority," Jetstar said.
Air New Zealand services were operating normally, with the airline opting to fly beneath the ash plume, which meteorologists said was sitting at an altitude of about 20,000 feet (6,000 metres) over parts of the South Island.
Qantas and Jetstar have cancelled scored of flights in Australia and New Zealand since the Puyehue volcano, high in the Andes, erupted on June 04, amid fears the resulting ash cloud could affect jet engines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?