New Zealand pilot in Indonesia helicopter crash
Jakarta: A helicopter chartered by the
Indonesian arm of US mining company Freeport-McMoRan crashed
on Saturday in remote Papua province with a New Zealand pilot and
two Indonesian passengers on board, police said.
The PK Airfast ODA helicopter crashed in Mimika district,
where Freeport operates its giant Grasberg gold and copper
"The helicopter left at 8:12 am (0442 IST) and was flown
by New Zealand citizen Srirama Trisnan carrying two
passengers," Timika police chief Denny Siregar told AFP.
"There was bad weather conditions, so the pilot tried to
turn back, but the tower lost contact with him at 8:30 am
The two passengers were Freeport Indonesia contract
workers, the company spokesman Ramdani Sirait said.
"At around 11:00 am (0730 IST) we received a report of an
incident involving a helicopter used by an exploration team in
a valley around mile post 73 in Mimika," Sirait said.
"Freeport Indonesia`s safety team is in the area for the
search and rescue process and will take necessary actions in
accordance to the company`s safety standards."
The sprawling Indonesian archipelago relies heavily on air
transport and has a poor aviation record, particularly in
mountainous remote areas such as Papua.
In September, an Australian and a Slovak pilot were killed
when their small Cessna Grand Caravan aircraft went down
carrying fuel and food to Papua.
Another small aircraft, which was also transporting
supplies to remote villages for a Christian humanitarian
association in Papua, crashed two weeks later, killing its
American pilot and two passengers. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door