New Zealand plans vote on changing national flag
Wellington: New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has today announced plans for a referendum on whether to change the national flag.
He said in a speech that he wants a nationwide vote held within the next three years.
The nation`s current flag depicts the Southern Cross star constellation in red and includes Britain`s Union Jack flag in the top left corner. Many complain the flag is too similar to Australia`s and doesn`t reflect New Zealand`s independence from its former coloniser, Britain.
Some want to keep the flag while others debate the best possible replacement.
Key has said he favors a silver fern set against a black background. Opponents say that would associate the flag too much with sports teams, who often use it, and is too reminiscent of a pirate ensign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi