New Zealand PM welcomes new Australian PM Kevin Rudd
Wellington: New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has congratulated incoming Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd who unseated Julia Gillard on Wednesday in a vote among ruling Labor Party lawmakers.
"The relationship with Australia is our closest and most important, and I look forward to working with Kevin Rudd in continuing our cooperation across the trade, economic, defense and security spheres," Key said in a statement Thursday.
"I enjoyed a close working relationship with Kevin Rudd in his past roles as prime minister and foreign minister and I look forward to that continuing."
Key said Gillard had been a good friend to New Zealand and he appreciated her commitment to the trans-Tasman relationship.
"The bonds between our two countries will remain strong and we will continue our important work on achieving a single economic market, as well as cooperating closely on the regional and international stage."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!