New Zealand still feeling aftershocks from mid-July quake
Wellington: Three moderate earthquakes, ranging in magnitude from 5.0 to 5.1, struck southern New Zealand early Thursday, -- the latest of hundreds of aftershocks since a 7.8-magnitude quake in mid-July, seismologists reported.
Emergency services said there were no immediate reports of injury or damage from the latest quakes in the Fiordland region of South Island.
A magnitude-5.1 quake struck off South Island`s west coast just before 8 am (0130 IST), said government geological agency, GNS Science. It was followed in the next few hours by two magnitude-5.0 temblors.
GNS Science said hundreds of aftershocks have been recorded in the sparsely populated region following the powerful 7.8-magnitude quake on July 15, the strongest recorded in the world so far this year.
Geologists confirmed last week that the power unleashed by the quake twisted South Island out of shape, moving its southwest tip 12 inches closer to Australia. It also generated a small local tsunami wave about 8 inches high.
New Zealand`s Earthquake Commission said the cost of damage from the big quake and its aftershocks could rise to USD 4 million.
Commission insurance manager Lance Dixon said USD 2.3 million worth of claims for damaged property have been filed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured