New Zealand still feeling aftershocks from mid-July quake
Wellington: Three moderate earthquakes, ranging in magnitude from 5.0 to 5.1, struck southern New Zealand early Thursday, -- the latest of hundreds of aftershocks since a 7.8-magnitude quake in mid-July, seismologists reported.
Emergency services said there were no immediate reports of injury or damage from the latest quakes in the Fiordland region of South Island.
A magnitude-5.1 quake struck off South Island`s west coast just before 8 am (0130 IST), said government geological agency, GNS Science. It was followed in the next few hours by two magnitude-5.0 temblors.
GNS Science said hundreds of aftershocks have been recorded in the sparsely populated region following the powerful 7.8-magnitude quake on July 15, the strongest recorded in the world so far this year.
Geologists confirmed last week that the power unleashed by the quake twisted South Island out of shape, moving its southwest tip 12 inches closer to Australia. It also generated a small local tsunami wave about 8 inches high.
New Zealand`s Earthquake Commission said the cost of damage from the big quake and its aftershocks could rise to USD 4 million.
Commission insurance manager Lance Dixon said USD 2.3 million worth of claims for damaged property have been filed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai