New Zealand: Two Indian-origin men jailed for rape
Melbourne: Two Indian-origin men have been sentenced up to 17 years in jail in New Zealand for abducting two teen-aged girls and repeatedly raping one of them.
Benjamin Nilesh Goundar and Ashumendra Rohit Prasad abducted a 15-year-old girl and her 17-year-old cousin and raped the younger one for five hours in December 2011 in Hamilton, the High Court in Hamilton was told.
Justice Ailsa Duffy of the High Court sentenced Goundar, 24, to jail for 16 years and Prasad, 27, for 15 years after they were convicted for rape, sexual violation and abduction.
The judge ordered Goundar to serve at least six and a half years of the sentence, and a minimum term for Prasad of five and a half years.
According to media reports, from New Zealand, after being persuaded by Goundar and Prasad to get in a car in 2011, they became worried after they were taken to a rural property on the outskirts of the city.
The 17-year-old escaped but the 15-year-old was unable to escape and she was driven to a layby in Tamahere, about 7-km away, where she was repeatedly raped for five hours, Fairfax NZ News reported. The judge said neither of the men was remorseful and both lacked insight into their offending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened