New Zealand: Two Indian-origin men jailed for rape
Melbourne: Two Indian-origin men have been sentenced up to 17 years in jail in New Zealand for abducting two teen-aged girls and repeatedly raping one of them.
Benjamin Nilesh Goundar and Ashumendra Rohit Prasad abducted a 15-year-old girl and her 17-year-old cousin and raped the younger one for five hours in December 2011 in Hamilton, the High Court in Hamilton was told.
Justice Ailsa Duffy of the High Court sentenced Goundar, 24, to jail for 16 years and Prasad, 27, for 15 years after they were convicted for rape, sexual violation and abduction.
The judge ordered Goundar to serve at least six and a half years of the sentence, and a minimum term for Prasad of five and a half years.
According to media reports, from New Zealand, after being persuaded by Goundar and Prasad to get in a car in 2011, they became worried after they were taken to a rural property on the outskirts of the city.
The 17-year-old escaped but the 15-year-old was unable to escape and she was driven to a layby in Tamahere, about 7-km away, where she was repeatedly raped for five hours, Fairfax NZ News reported. The judge said neither of the men was remorseful and both lacked insight into their offending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September