‘News International tried to blackmail UK MPs’
London: British police probing illegal news gathering methods by media tycoon Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper group are now investigating whether News International attempted to blackmail politicians.
The alleged plot centres on News International`s apparent efforts to warn off UK MPs on a parliamentary committee from disproving its discredited defence that phone hacking was the work of a single ‘rogue reporter’.
According to the former senior News of the World journalist Neville Thurlbeck, News International ordered the Sunday paper``s reporters to scour the private lives of MPs on the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee in 2009.
Thurlbeck said reporters were told by those in ‘deepcarpetland’ to obtain evidence of affairs or gay relationships.
According to the Independent, the aim, Thurlbeck claimed, was to ‘to find as much embarrassing sleaze on as many members as possible in order to blackmail them into backing off from its highly forensic inquiry into phone hacking’.
On the advice of the parliamentary authorities, the Labour MP Tom Watson has now asked the Metropolitan Police to investigate the allegation.
In a letter to the Deputy Assistant Commissioner leading the Met`s inquiries into News International, Sue Akers, Watson wrote ‘if these allegations are found to be true, it suggests there was a conspiracy to blackmail.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3