News of the World ex-editor may be arrested today
London: A former editor of the News of the World is currently facing arrest over charges of phone hacking, even as reports emerged that Sunday`s edition would be the last of the 168-year-old paper.
Andy Coulson, 43, has been asked to present himself at a police station in Central London. He could also face a perjury investigation over his testimony during the trial of a Scottish MP who was jailed for lying in a defamation case against the News of the World, according to reports.
Coulson is also expected to be quizzed by police over claims that journalists under his watch made secret payments to police officers.
Sources said another former senior journalist will also be arrested.
Coulson quit the daily in January 2007 just weeks before royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire were jailed for phone hacking.
The News of the World ordered Mulcaire to hack into voicemail messages left on a mobile phone belonging to a murdered teenager, Milly Dowler, in 2002.
Mulcaire may also have targeted relatives of British servicemen killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Media mogul Rupert Murdoch bought the newspaper in 1969 and made his foray into British journalism.
His son James told the 200 British staff that Sunday`s edition of the paper, which sells 2.6 million copies a week, would be its last.
"The good things the News of the World does... have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong. Indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our company," James Murdoch was quoted as saying by media.
"The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections