Newtown shooting victim’s mom makes emotional plea for gun control
Washington: The mother of a six-year-old boy, who was killed in the Connecticut school shooting, Francine Wheeler, on Saturday made an emotional plea to push for tougher gun control laws, becoming the first to deliver the address other than US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden since they took office in 2009.
Francine’s son Ben was one of 20 children shot dead in Newtown on December 14.
Wheeler said the pain of families remained as raw as ever, four months after gunman Adam Lanza`s rampage through the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut which left 26 children and staff dead.
"I`ve heard people say that the tidal wave of anguish our country felt on 12/14 has receded. But not for us," Wheeler said.
"To us, it feels as if it happened just yesterday. And in the four months since we lost our loved ones, thousands of other Americans have died at the end of a gun.”
"We have to convince the Senate to come together and pass common sense gun responsibility reforms that will make our communities safer and prevent more tragedies like the one we never thought would happen to us."
On Thursday, the US Senate voted to debate the most ambitious gun safety legislation in almost two decades.
Congress is due to vote next week on amendments to a bill that would tighten checks for firearms buyers, stiffen penalties on gun trafficking and boost school safety measures.
Wheeler said that while she was pleased the Senate had moved forward with plans for a vote, much work needed to be done.
"That`s only the start. They haven`t yet passed any bills that will help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people. And a lot of people are fighting to make sure they never do," she said.
"Now is the time to act."
(With Inputs From AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video