Newtown shooting victim’s mom makes emotional plea for gun control
Washington: The mother of a six-year-old boy, who was killed in the Connecticut school shooting, Francine Wheeler, on Saturday made an emotional plea to push for tougher gun control laws, becoming the first to deliver the address other than US President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden since they took office in 2009.
Francine’s son Ben was one of 20 children shot dead in Newtown on December 14.
Wheeler said the pain of families remained as raw as ever, four months after gunman Adam Lanza`s rampage through the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut which left 26 children and staff dead.
"I`ve heard people say that the tidal wave of anguish our country felt on 12/14 has receded. But not for us," Wheeler said.
"To us, it feels as if it happened just yesterday. And in the four months since we lost our loved ones, thousands of other Americans have died at the end of a gun.”
"We have to convince the Senate to come together and pass common sense gun responsibility reforms that will make our communities safer and prevent more tragedies like the one we never thought would happen to us."
On Thursday, the US Senate voted to debate the most ambitious gun safety legislation in almost two decades.
Congress is due to vote next week on amendments to a bill that would tighten checks for firearms buyers, stiffen penalties on gun trafficking and boost school safety measures.
Wheeler said that while she was pleased the Senate had moved forward with plans for a vote, much work needed to be done.
"That`s only the start. They haven`t yet passed any bills that will help keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people. And a lot of people are fighting to make sure they never do," she said.
"Now is the time to act."
(With Inputs From AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand