Next Chinese Prez Xi Jinping meets poor villagers
Beijing: Next Chinese president Xi Jinping took a tour of northwest China, known for its barren land and poor natural conditions, and met impoverished villagers to get "first-hand information" regarding their well-being.
Xi`s visit to Gansu province came just ahead of the Spring Festival holiday, which begins Feb 9.
Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, visited villages to get first-hand information regarding the residents` well-being and the improvement of officials` working styles.
The top official shook hands with residents, and inquired about their food supply, access to medical services and schooling for their children.
He said central authorities attach high importance to poverty alleviation and the development of areas inhabited by ethnic minorities.
He assured greater government support to help people get out of poverty.
Regarding water shortage in Gansu, Xi visited a water diversion project and told officials that scientific planning and well-coordinated construction should be done to ensure the project`s success.
He visited a cafeteria in a senior citizens` centre in Lanzhou, and served food to people.
Xi toured a vegetable market, and inquired about supplies of festival goods to ensure a pleasant holiday.
Gansu is one of China`s poorest provinces. The annual net per capita income of farmers in 2012 stood at 4,507 yuan (around $720).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...