Next round postponed in Colombia peace talks
Bogota: The next round of talks between Colombia and the leftist FARC rebels -- planned for November 18 -- has been postponed, a government source said on Sunday.
"By common consent, it was decided to postpone the start of this round of talks, because they asked for more time to work on the issue of illegal drugs," the source said.
"I do not yet have a precise date" for when the talks will resume in Cuba, he added.
The postponement comes two days before the process was set to mark the one-year anniversary since the talks began on November 19, 2012.
So far, the negotiations have resolved two of the five key points on the agenda. This next round was set to tackle the question of drug-trafficking, which the FARC is alleged to have abetted to finance their operations.
The two sides must also still resolve questions on compensation for victims and disarmament.
The half-century old guerrilla war -- Latin America`s longest-running insurgency -- has left hundreds of thousands of dead and displaced more than 4.5 million people.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or the FARC, has some 7,000 to 8,000 fighters, Colombia`s largest rebel group. The nearly 50-year-old conflict is Latin America`s longest-running insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016
- Mayawati slur row: No relief for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh from Allahabad HC
- OMG! 'Naagin' Mouni Roy has a doppelganger in another TV actress—Picture proof inside
- Chris Klein, wife welcome first child