NGO seeks stay on Malaysian model`s caning
Kuala Lumpur: An NGO has sought a stay on the caning of a part-time Malaysian model convicted for drinking in public.
Sisters in Islam (SIS) on Friday filed for a stay on the caning of 32-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, who wants to go through the punishment in public to atone for her crime.
The case has embarrassed Malaysian authorities who call their country a moderate Muslim state.
SIS executive director Hamidah Marican said as an advocacy group working on women`s rights, it was acting in public interest to "resolve controversies and provide clarity on the issue", The Star said on Sunday.
Shukarno and a waitress were fined RM 5,000 (USD 1,400) each and ordered to face six rotan strokes.
Malaysia`s majority Muslim population is governed by both the civil law and the Islamic law. The latter forbids Muslims from drinking.
"SIS urges the authorities to refrain from executing the sentence on Kartika until all legal and other avenues have been exhausted," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know