NGO seeks stay on Malaysian model`s caning
Kuala Lumpur: An NGO has sought a stay on the caning of a part-time Malaysian model convicted for drinking in public.
Sisters in Islam (SIS) on Friday filed for a stay on the caning of 32-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, who wants to go through the punishment in public to atone for her crime.
The case has embarrassed Malaysian authorities who call their country a moderate Muslim state.
SIS executive director Hamidah Marican said as an advocacy group working on women`s rights, it was acting in public interest to "resolve controversies and provide clarity on the issue", The Star said on Sunday.
Shukarno and a waitress were fined RM 5,000 (USD 1,400) each and ordered to face six rotan strokes.
Malaysia`s majority Muslim population is governed by both the civil law and the Islamic law. The latter forbids Muslims from drinking.
"SIS urges the authorities to refrain from executing the sentence on Kartika until all legal and other avenues have been exhausted," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’