Nicaragua would consider Gaddafi asylum: Official
Managua: An adviser to Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said on Tuesday that his government would consider giving asylum to Libya`s Muammar Gaddafi if he asked for it, but acknowledged it would be difficult to arrange.
Asked whether Nicaragua would offer Gaddafi asylum, economic adviser Bayardo Arce said he didn`t know how Gaddafi could even get to this Central American nation, whose government has been a strong ally of the Libyan leader.
"I do not know how Gaddafi could get here from Libya, because we do not have an embassy in Libya," Arce told Channel 63 television.
But Arce said "if someone asks us for asylum, we would have to consider it positively, because our people got asylum when the Somoza dictatorship was killing us," Arce said, referring to the 1979 uprising that overthrew dictator Anastasio Somoza.
Ortega made a public speech on Tuesday but did not mention Gaddafi.
Rebels overran Gaddafi`s command compound in Tripoli on Tuesday, but his whereabouts are unknown.
The leftist governments of Nicaragua, Cuba, Venezuela and Bolivia are staunch allies of Gaddafi and have criticised the military intervention by US and European Air Forces.
In late February, after Gaddafi`s government began cracking down on the uprising, Ortega said he had telephoned the Libyan leader to express his solidarity.
Ortega said at the time that Gaddafi "is again waging a great battle" to defend the unity of his nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi