Nicaragua would consider Gaddafi asylum: Official
Managua: An adviser to Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said on Tuesday that his government would consider giving asylum to Libya`s Muammar Gaddafi if he asked for it, but acknowledged it would be difficult to arrange.
Asked whether Nicaragua would offer Gaddafi asylum, economic adviser Bayardo Arce said he didn`t know how Gaddafi could even get to this Central American nation, whose government has been a strong ally of the Libyan leader.
"I do not know how Gaddafi could get here from Libya, because we do not have an embassy in Libya," Arce told Channel 63 television.
But Arce said "if someone asks us for asylum, we would have to consider it positively, because our people got asylum when the Somoza dictatorship was killing us," Arce said, referring to the 1979 uprising that overthrew dictator Anastasio Somoza.
Ortega made a public speech on Tuesday but did not mention Gaddafi.
Rebels overran Gaddafi`s command compound in Tripoli on Tuesday, but his whereabouts are unknown.
The leftist governments of Nicaragua, Cuba, Venezuela and Bolivia are staunch allies of Gaddafi and have criticised the military intervention by US and European Air Forces.
In late February, after Gaddafi`s government began cracking down on the uprising, Ortega said he had telephoned the Libyan leader to express his solidarity.
Ortega said at the time that Gaddafi "is again waging a great battle" to defend the unity of his nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics