Nicolas Sarkozy to quit politics: Report
London: Nicolas Sarkozy, who lost the recent presidential race in France, is to quit politics and practice law, a media report said.
The 57-year-old outgoing French President, a qualified lawyer, will first have a holiday at his wife Carla Bruni`s sprawling villa in south of France after handing over power to socialist president-elect Francois Hollande next week.
He is expected to rejoin his old firm in Paris which specialises in property law, the `Daily Express` reported.
In fact, he doesn`t even want to wait until the official transition of power next Tuesday to move out of the Elysee Palace. He reportedly told friends: "If I could, I`d be gone tomorrow."
His close friend and political adviser Franck Louvrier was quoted by the British newspaper as telling `Le Parisien` newspaper in France: "He is a lawyer and he will return to his legal firm."
Another friend told the newspaper: "He is very keen to rediscover his freedom and his private life and to stop been attacked by the press. One of his main gripes was never even being able to take his children to a restaurant."
Sarkozy had indicated after his defeat on Sunday that he would quit politics. "I hope to live a normal life. I lost the election but journalists continue to prevent me from taking a break. I`m unable to have lunch with my family. I hope I can now be left to enjoy a bit of quiet," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed