Nigeria: 14 dead as suicide car bomb hits church
Abuja: In the latest deadly attack on Christians in Nigeria, at least 14 people were killed and many injured when a suicide car bomber detonated his explosives inside a church compound in the country`s north on Sunday, police said.
The blast occurred at the Living Faith church near the capital of Nigeria`s northern state of Bauchi, they said.
State police commissioner Mohammed Ladan said a police checkpoint has prevented the bomber from gaining access to his target.
"So he rammed the car into a security gate and the car exploded," said Ladan.
While a police source told PTI that security forces are still verifying the extent of damage. The source said the death toll from the blast could rise.
No group has claimed responsibility but the attack bears the signature of a radical Islamic militant sect - Boko Haram - which has been bombing churches and other public squares in the oil-rich African country with the intention of installing an Islamic state.
The group had targeted and killed several politicians and Muslim religious leaders in the northern region for not conforming to their aspiration.
On April 29, gunmen had killed at least 15 people in an attack on a university theatre being used by Christians in northern Nigeria`s biggest city, Kano.
Nigeria has 160 million people and is split between a largely Muslim north and Christian south.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump