Nigeria: 19 killed in gun battles
Abuja: At least 19 people have been killed in fierce gun battles between military and suspected members of radical Islamist sect Boko Haram in Nigeria`s northeast.
Sixteen militants were killed in northern Maiduguri city yesterday in the gunfight between a special Nigerian military unit and members of Boko Haram sect.
Military spokesman Col Victor Ebhaleme said that soldiers invaded a Boko Haram hideout and killed 16 militants.
Army suffered no casualties on its side, Ebhaleme added.
The operation, which lasted for hours, also led to the recovery of heavy arms and ammunition.
Meanwhile, in Kano, police spokesperson Rilwan Mohammed said Boko Haram militants opened fire and killed three people, including two police officers.
Mohammed, however, declined to provide further details.
Boko Haram has been bombing churches and other public squares in the oil-rich African country with the intention of installing an Islamic rule. The group had targeted and killed several politicians and Muslim religious leaders in the northern region for not conforming to their aspiration.
More than 800 persons have been killed in its attacks which involve shooting bombing and suicide bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand