Nigeria: 19 killed in gun battles
Abuja: At least 19 people have been killed in fierce gun battles between military and suspected members of radical Islamist sect Boko Haram in Nigeria`s northeast.
Sixteen militants were killed in northern Maiduguri city yesterday in the gunfight between a special Nigerian military unit and members of Boko Haram sect.
Military spokesman Col Victor Ebhaleme said that soldiers invaded a Boko Haram hideout and killed 16 militants.
Army suffered no casualties on its side, Ebhaleme added.
The operation, which lasted for hours, also led to the recovery of heavy arms and ammunition.
Meanwhile, in Kano, police spokesperson Rilwan Mohammed said Boko Haram militants opened fire and killed three people, including two police officers.
Mohammed, however, declined to provide further details.
Boko Haram has been bombing churches and other public squares in the oil-rich African country with the intention of installing an Islamic rule. The group had targeted and killed several politicians and Muslim religious leaders in the northern region for not conforming to their aspiration.
More than 800 persons have been killed in its attacks which involve shooting bombing and suicide bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why