Nigeria: 19 killed in gun battles
Abuja: At least 19 people have been killed in fierce gun battles between military and suspected members of radical Islamist sect Boko Haram in Nigeria`s northeast.
Sixteen militants were killed in northern Maiduguri city yesterday in the gunfight between a special Nigerian military unit and members of Boko Haram sect.
Military spokesman Col Victor Ebhaleme said that soldiers invaded a Boko Haram hideout and killed 16 militants.
Army suffered no casualties on its side, Ebhaleme added.
The operation, which lasted for hours, also led to the recovery of heavy arms and ammunition.
Meanwhile, in Kano, police spokesperson Rilwan Mohammed said Boko Haram militants opened fire and killed three people, including two police officers.
Mohammed, however, declined to provide further details.
Boko Haram has been bombing churches and other public squares in the oil-rich African country with the intention of installing an Islamic rule. The group had targeted and killed several politicians and Muslim religious leaders in the northern region for not conforming to their aspiration.
More than 800 persons have been killed in its attacks which involve shooting bombing and suicide bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa