Nigeria: 20 Boko Haram militants killed
Abuja: At least 20 suspected Boko Haram militants have been killed in a gun battle with the military in Nigeria`s Borno state, Xinhua reported.
The militants were killed in an overnight raid on Sunday in the state capital Maiduguri.
Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, state commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF), said a soldier was also killed in the raid. Two other soldiers were wounded.
The raid took place following an intelligence report that the Boko Haram sect was holding a meeting in the metropolis to probably launch further attacks in the state.
When the military personnel approached the venue of the meeting, the Boko Haram members opened fire, the JTF commander said.
The Boko Haram group`s official name is Jama`atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda`awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet`s Teachings and Jihad".
But residents of Maiduguri, where it was formed in 2002, dubbed it Boko Haram. Loosely translated from the local Hausa language, this means Western education is forbidden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof