Nigeria: 20 Boko Haram militants killed
Abuja: At least 20 suspected Boko Haram militants have been killed in a gun battle with the military in Nigeria`s Borno state, Xinhua reported.
The militants were killed in an overnight raid on Sunday in the state capital Maiduguri.
Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, state commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF), said a soldier was also killed in the raid. Two other soldiers were wounded.
The raid took place following an intelligence report that the Boko Haram sect was holding a meeting in the metropolis to probably launch further attacks in the state.
When the military personnel approached the venue of the meeting, the Boko Haram members opened fire, the JTF commander said.
The Boko Haram group`s official name is Jama`atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda`awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet`s Teachings and Jihad".
But residents of Maiduguri, where it was formed in 2002, dubbed it Boko Haram. Loosely translated from the local Hausa language, this means Western education is forbidden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister