Nigeria: 25 killed in church blasts in northern state
Abuja: Suicide bombers targeted four churches in a series of attacks in northern Nigeria on Sunday, killing at least 25 people, many of them children, and prompting reprisal attacks.
As many as 80 people were also reported wounded in the restive Nigeria region that has become a centre of ethnic strife in the country.
In Kaduna city, where 10 people were killed inside a Catholic church and 29 wounded, the attacks also led to reprisals by Christian youth against local Muslims.
Following reports of violence, the government imposed a 24-hour curfew to prevent the situation from going out of hand.
In all, two churches were attacked in Kaduna city while another two were bombed in a nearby Zaria city.
Red Cross officials in the city said in a church located in Zaria town, most of those killed or wounded were children.
At least 25 people have been killed in the violence, initial estimates by officials said.
In the first attack, a bomber tried to drive a Honda Accord SUV into an Evangelical Church of West Africa (ECWA) auditorium but was stopped by security men causing his bomb to explode at the entrance, killing some persons and the bomber, Spokesman of Nigerian police Frank Mba said.
Eyewitnesses at another scene of attack said a bomber drove into KC church in Zaria, killing several people including children and students of a nearby polytechnic.
While no group claimed responsibility so far, similar attacks in the past have been blamed on radical Islamic sect Boko Haram.
Kaduna state has previously seen attacks by Boko Haram.
Last Sunday the group attacked two church services, sparking violence which killed seven people. Hundreds have died in its previous attacks on churches.
Boko Haram says it wants Islamic sharia law in place across Nigeria and analysts suggest it is trying to trigger clashes between Christians and Muslims.
A country of 150 million people, Nigeria`s population is equally divided between Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh